Caribbean Roti Flat Bread
In the Caribbean roti is often eaten with a filling of curry goat or curry chicken.
225g plain flour – white, wholemeal or half and half
1tbsp vegetable oil plus extra for oiling the pan
- Place the flour, salt and 1tbsp oil in a bowl. Add 150ml warm water and mix to a soft dough. If the mixture feels too dry, add a little more water, if too wet, add a little flour.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth. Cover with cling film and leave to rest for 10 mins.
- Divide the dough into six equal pieces and roll each one out to an 18cm diameter circle.
- Heat a heavy-based frying pan until hot, a little splash of water should spit when the pan is hot. Grease the pan lightly with a little oil and place one roti in the pan. Cook for 1-2 mins until the roti starts to puff up and the underneath is brown in places. Flip the roti over and cook on the other side for 1 minute. Keep the roti warm in a clean tea towel while cooking the remainder.
- Fill with curry goat or Chicken in Barbados Caribbean Sauce.