Vegetarian bajan bean croquette
2 Medium onions
2 Celery sticks
300g Bajan Seasoning
200g Kidney Bean (Tinned)
200g Black-eyed peas (Tinned)
25g Vegetable Bouillon
200g Gram Flour
1 medium egg (beaten) or 50ml water for Vegan version
200ml Sunflower Oil
200g Butternut Squash, chopped
200g Sweet Potato, chopped
200g Swede, chopped
1 Courgette, chopped
1 Pepper, chopped
1tbs Curry Paste
2 spring onions
Scotch bonnet chilli chutney or Vegan Barbados Sauce
- Add the chopped butternut squash, swede, courgette, pepper, sweet potato to a medium saucepan and just cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 14-16 mins until completely cooked through. Drain and mash well.
- Strain beans and mash together.
- Heat a medium frying pan with a drizzle of oil and add onions, celery and carrots and cook until softened.
- Add the mashed vegetables to the pan and mix together.
- Add Bajan seasoning and vegetable bouillon and half the gram flour and cook for 5 minutes whilst stirring.
- Add curry paste and bean mixture to the pan and mix well.
- Remove the pan from heat and leave to cool.
- When the mixture is cool you can shape into small balls or croquettes.
- Put the remaining gram flour, beaten egg or water and panko breadcrumbs in three separate bowls. Roll the croquettes in the gram flour, dip in the beaten egg, then roll in the panko breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in a large, non-stick frying pan and fry the croquettes on a low-medium heat for 4-5 mins, turning frequently for an even, golden colour.
- Drain on kitchen paper and serve with Vegan Barbados Sauce or Scotch Bonnet Chilli Chutney